It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Dungeon runners private server
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:41 am 
New Kid

Well, i've seen many private servers for paid mmorpgs like wow, lineage, aion and i was wonderin if there could be a way to make one for Dungeon runners. What do you think, considering the fact that we only have the game client.

Post subject: Re: Dungeon runners private server
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:12 am 
Old Timer
 WWW  Profile

If it haven't happened by now it'll never happen. And you're right, we only have access to the gameclient, nothing more. Looking at the amount of people playing a popular game as WoW on one specific private server compared to the small clientel Dungeon Runners had I don't think anyone would like to bother with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:05 pm 
Actual Hawk

I have facebook too :P

-- Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:05 pm --

I have facebook too :P

Started DR: May 2008
Membership: Fulltime
Reached Level 100: New Year 2008-2009
Stopped DR: The Last Moment

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:38 am 
New Kid

I still have my old gameclient installed =D omg , I'm missing DR =/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:29 am 
Old Timer
 WWW  Profile

My HDD broke down a while back so it went away for me. Allthough I still have it on disc, a community-manager for Dungeon Runners sent me the game plus a Bling Gnome action figure (!?) a couple of years ago. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:02 pm 
Actual Hawk

me want action figure xD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:10 am 
New Kid

You really need to make a private server Mag, if you make it you should have it as the very last months of regular DR, with the 15% xp boost or something like that, and finding Sam and Sally everytime. That would be awesome :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:41 pm 
Actual Hawk

Hi fuzzy :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:42 pm 
New Kid

I don't know a lot about how private servers work, but I thought I would chime in since I have followed news about them for a long time. In some cases communities have succeeded in keeping their games alive; other times they run into trouble.

SubSpace was probably the first. This might not have happened were it not such a special case at the time. If the wrong people had been there and got dollar signs in their eyes it would probably be gone forever. I think it helped matters that after a lot of financial shuffling no one was sure who owned the rights, or even where the source code wound up.

Allegiance was opened up to the community by Microsoft, and I believe it's still going. Earth & Beyond now has private servers as well, not with any cooperation from EA, but they just seem to look the other way.

There are thriving private servers for EverQuest and RF Online, both of which are of course still in business. Unlike what we see with WoW and Lineage II, these don't get in trouble with the rights holders. It's unknown whether this is for lack of available legal resources (why waste lawyer money on a dead investment?) or because the publishers are simply wise enough to know that freeloading is never the reason people play on them.

Asheron's Call 2 is where it got ugly. The AC2 project took a long time, and didn't start until after the game closed. Turbine even removed all traces of AC2 from their web presence. Not only did they send a cease & desist order to the people involved, but they made a point of waiting until after a lot of work had been done. I believe they did this to send a signal: Not only will you not emulate our games, but if you try we're going to make it painful for you.

It may have worked. There has been no attempt whatsoever to emulate Tabula Rasa or The Matrix Online.

What we have seen in the past few months though is successful emulation of Shadowbane. From what I understand there's still a lot of work to be done, but the important thing is they got a server up and running, with players connecting and everything. Three months passed, and they still have not heard from Ubisoft.

My one bit of advice for anyone considering work on a Dungeon Runners emulator is to operate in secret. Pull in the people you trust, do the work, then release it without warning and in such a way that the genie cannot be stuffed back in the bottle. The AC2 emu's mistake was asking permission and then putting up a website and forum. NCsoft are not well known for giving a damn about anybody, and at times they've been known for ruthlessness. If you do this, make sure no one knows what's happening until your work is out in the wild.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:44 am 
Armchair Warrior
 WWW  Profile

Nah, NC aren't all that bad when it comes to private servers. :) I don't see them hunting the big ones in Lineage - DEX should be still up, I'm lazy to check, but it was recently, and it is some big and popular L2 private server. To some extend better than the original. ;)

The only thing DR private server makers should be watchful for is profit. Free donations are ok, but if NC sees someone selling their stuff they may aggro on the person and things may get ugly.

With WoW servers there is some fun situation, where to enter the site you have to agree that you don't work for Blizz and will never ever under any circumstances whatsoever let them know what is going on on the site. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:40 pm 
Actual Hawk

Posse: Jesus of Suburbia

Make server nao? xD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:58 pm 
Chicken Hawk

lets be real for second. DR at the end of it could barely pay for itself. WoW has thousands of players and to do a private server is lucrative. Having a private DR server is just silly as what was there at the end?? Maybe 200 players on at time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:49 am 
Armchair Warrior
 WWW  Profile

The idea is to actually keep the game alive, not to make money off the server. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:53 am 
Rabbit Puncher

ok how will be with the membership? the server will have membership, or we can use all the items? anyway how much can you get from 100 players? and yes the idea is to keep the game alive not to make money from it .
I think the private server is just a 'HOPE". Im sry to say this but that's it. We need very good programmers and i guess we need money too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:11 am 
Actual Hawk

Posse: Jesus of Suburbia

Yep, I doubt we'll ever play dr again :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next